Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Loss for words.

Lately I've been at a loss for words. If you know me I can usually jabber on for hours. -- Maybe not hours, but you get the idea. I haven't wrote a thing of Matt's Wisdom in a while for that reason... I don't know what to write about. Though, after Rachel said it in her Blog/Journal... I think I shall write about Depression.

What makes a person think they are depressed? What classifies you as depressed? Is it all mental? or is it biological? Is that why medication can "supress" the feelings? Who TRUELY knows. We're supposed to take doctors words for things, but they have been wrong so many times... why is it we take their word for this?

I don't think being depressed is when you want to kill yourself, think you are worthless. No... thats depressing but it is not depressed. I think being depressed is something you allow yourself to be. I'm not saying you can turn it off and on, but its more of an emotion. That's why you FEEL depressed. Not to be confused with sad... Sad is when something bad has happened. Or something of the like. Depressed is when you can no longer feel happy. You no longer want to laugh. To take an exerpt from a friend... Hope he doesn't mind :
"The darkness that consumes me is the punishment for messing up....i have messed up everything in life, including other peoples lives....i try not to mess up but it only makes things worse...in the end, all the things i know and all the people i love....thats one big mess up too....i seek help from friends, i seek quideance, i seek the only thing that friends can give me....but not even friends try to help me....i should just never do or say anything, but that would turn into a big mess up....friends tell me that if i dont always mess up that i wouldnt need to apologize so much.....their right too....if i can figure out what i mess up on, then i wouldnt have to apologize so much."

That is depressed. You can no longer function normally without feeling... like that. Now why do we allow ourselves to get this way? We just stop thinking about everything that we have ahead of us, we concentrate on what could have been rather than what will be.

People need to laugh more. We need to stop being so serious about things. Now I'm not suggesting that we all stop drop and roll... but rather that when we break a nail... Wreck your parents car *cough*, or lose the TV remote, that we don't go int oa fit of crying and whining... laugh about it. The night I wrecked my dad's car... I wasn't crying myself to sleep and wondering when I would next see daylight. I was laughing as Justin as my witness.

If depression is biological, then it is something we obviously cannot help. They now make medication to supress these depressed feelings and make you see the brighter side of life. Be more social, let you know what there is to live for-- why don't we just give people some alchohol? hah.

That's all I can think of for now.. I may add more to this later. This wasn't as good as past wisdoms, but ...yeah.

This has been your weekly broadcasting of Matt's Wisdom.

2 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Katie (Olivena) said...

Katie's philosophy:

depressed? find some damn chocolate!

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Hilary said...

I think it's when a person emotions are just so built up and they have no where to go or no one to talk to (or at least thats what they tell themselves) they just mentally break down.

Yeah but I agree with out about the killing yourself part, I just look at that as a way to get away from it, like an excuse or an easy way out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home